University of Florida, Florida Museum of Natural History
Advisor: David Blackburn
Focus: Comparative phylogeography of Afrotropical amphibians
Master’s Program in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation
San Francisco State University and California Academy of Sciences
Advisor: David Blackburn
Project title: Diversity and biogeography of the frog genus Amnirana across sub-Saharan Africa.
Bachelor of Science in Biology with Honours
Acadia University. Advisors: Dr. Tom Herman & Dr. Jordan Karubian
Project title: Amphibian Diversity in Relation to Habitat Type and Alteration in Northwest Ecuador
*mentored undergraduate co-author
1. Tobi, E., Djiembi, G.A.N., Feistner, A., Iponga, D.M., Liwouwou, J.F., Mabala, C., Mavoungou, J., Moussavou, G., Omouendze, L.P., Gilbert, E. and Jongsma, GFM., 2021. Creating a National Biodiversity Database in Gabon and the Challenges of Mobilizing Natural History Data for Francophone Countries. Biodiversity Information Science and Standards, 5, p.e75643.
2. Jongsma, GFM, Barve, N, Allen, JM, Blackburn, DC. 2021. Historical forest stability shapes contemporary patterns of afrobatrachian frog diversity in central africa. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology. Online Conference. (PhD work, International, Oral)
3. Hayes, TD*, A Bamba-Kaya, A Singh*, KE Allen, E. Tobi, EL Stanley, DC Blackburn, GFM Jongsma. 2020. A New Puddle Frog (Anura: Phrynobatrachidae) from Coastal Gabon. SE Regional Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) Gainesville, FL. (*Undergraduate mentee’s work, Regional, Oral, Award-winning)
4. Jongsma, GFM, N Barve, JM Allen, DC Blackburn. 2020. Delimiting Historical Forest Cover in Central Africa using Frogs. Society of Systematic Biologist, Gainesville, FL (PhD work, International, Poster).
5. Hayes, TD*, DC Blackburn, GFM Jongsma. 2020. Comparative Distribution Models of Ptychadena aequiplicata. Society for Systematic Biology, Gainesville, FL. (Undergraduate mentee’s work, International, Poster).
6. Hayes, TD*, GFM Jongsma, DC Blackburn. 2019. Testing the forest refuge hypothesis: comparative phylogeography of three African rocket frog (Ptychadena) species. Evolution Meeting, Providence, RI. (Undergraduate mentee’s work, International, Poster, Award-winning).
7. Jongsma, GFM, JM Allen, DC Blackburn. 2019. Phylogenetic Diversity of Afrobatrachian Frogs in Central Africa. Evolution Meeting, Providence, RI. (PhD work, International, Poster).
8. Jongsma, GFM, DM Portik, AD Leaché, MK Fujita, DC Blackburn. 2018. Amnirana Diversification at Historical Refugia in Central Africa. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, San Francisco, CA (PhD work, International, Oral).
9. Jongsma, GFM, E Greenbaum, M-O Rödel, DM Portik, AD Leaché, DC Blackburn. 2016 Diversity and Biogeography of Amnirana across Sub-Saharan Africa. Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. New Orleans, LA (PhD work, International, Oral)
10. Jongsma, GFM. 2014. Yenzi Nature Talk. Amphibian Adventures around the Ogooué: river biogeography in Gabon. Smithsonian Institute, Gamba, Gabon (Public education talk)
11. Jongsma, GFM. 2014. Fleuve Ogooué Biogeography. Institut de Recherches Agronomiques et Forestières. Libreville, Gabon (Invited talk).
12. Jongsma, GFM. 2014. Diversity of African Hylarana. African Amphibian Working Group. Bwindi, Uganda (International, Oral).
13. Jongsma, GFM. 2014. Impacts of logging across different habitats on amphibians in western Ecuador. Berkeley Herp Group Meeting. Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Berkeley (Invited talk).
GRANTS & AWARDS ($155,620 in grants; $71,000 in fellowships)
2022 Biodiversity Inventories of Conservation Areas at UF (56,870; PI: DC Blackburn)
2022 Austin Award for Graduate Student Excellence in Natural Science Research (Florida Museum)
2022 Biology Mentorship Award (University of Florida; 150)
2022 CLAS Dissertation Fellowship (University of Florida)
2018 - 2021 NSERC PGS-D Fellowship
2021 - 2023 BID: Biodiversity Information for Development - GBIF (48,200; Link)
2021 UF College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Grad Student Travel Award (300)
2021 Florida Museum of Natural History Travel Award (1000)
2021 Florida Museum of Natural History Conference Award (50)
2020 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Certificate of Outstanding Achievement
2020 Florida Museum of Natural History Special Emergency Museum Award (200)
2019 Florida Museum of Natural History Grant (6000; PI: B. Stucky)
2019 Alec Courtelis Award (1500)
2019 Center for African Studies - University of Florida (CoPI 12,000)
2019 Brian Riewald Memorial Grant (300)
2018 Florida Museum of Natural History Travel Award (1000)
2017 Florida Museum of Natural History Travel Award (1000)
2016 Conservation Action Research Network (CoPI 4595)
2015 New Brunswick Wildlife Trust Fund. Emergent Amphibian Diseases (8000)
2015 New Brunswick Creative Futures Grant (5000)
2014 Conservation Action Now Grant (2500)
2012 Florence M. Christie Research Grant (750)
2012 New Brunswick Wildlife Trust Fund Grant (5000)
2017 -- Florida Museum of Natural History Curatorial Assistant, Herpetology
2016 -- New Brunswick Museum Curatorial Assistant in Herpetology
2014-15 -- Sam Noble Museum of Natural History Curatorial Assistant in Herpetology.
2013-14 -- California Academy of Sciences Curatorial Assistant in Herpetology.
University of Ottawa
Guest Lecturer – Vertebrate Zoology (Spring 2021)
University of Florida
Teaching Assistant – Introductory Biology (BSC2010; Fall, 2021)
Teaching Assistant – Introductory Biology for non-majors (Summer, 2021)
Teaching Assistant – Genetics (Summer, Fall, 2020, Spring, 2021)
Teaching Assistant – Island Biogeography (Fall 2018)
Teaching Assistant – Integrated Principles of Biology (Fall 2016)
San Francisco State University
Teaching Assistant – Introductory Biology (Spring 2014)
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
California Academy of Sciences (CAS)
New Brunswick Museum (NBM)
Herpetological Association of Africa Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles Herpetologists’ League SACNAS
Acta Oecologica Canadian Field Naturalist
Diversity and Distributions Salamandra Herpetological Review Herpetology Notes Les cahiers de la fondation Biotope
Journal of Biogeography
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
Member / Reviewer